Spreading Out Skip Pope Stadium

Whether or not high school football would return for the 2020 season was a difficult decision that was thoroughly considered and evaluated to ensure the safety of the players and fansThe final decision was made that high school teams in Georgia would play their usual season and postpone games according to the number of players infected with COVID-19 on each team. By quarantining infected players, the GHSA is confident that COVID-19 will be managed with caution and football will be able to be played on. Luckily, as of now, the Sequoyah Chiefs have not been forced to quarantine because of infected players.  

The Chiefs kicked off their season under the lights on Friday, September 4th at Skip Pope Stadium. Sequoyah faced the Woodstock Wolverines, a fellow Cherokee County schoolAfter a long wait, teachers, students, coaches, and players were all thrilled for the football season to finally begin. 

However, Friday night lights are a little different this season as opposed to years prior. Due to the pandemic, the number of spectators in the stands has been limited to 25% its usual capacity. Of course, cheerleaders and band members are guaranteed entrance to the game in order to provide the Friday night ambiance everyone loves; however, they do not count towards the 25% capacity since they are on the track. Teachers at Sequoyah also all have secured tickets to all home games, so they can be present to proudly support their students.  

Tickets were up for grabs for all parents and students. Regular season tickets were the first to go on sale, and they were for all parents, but it was still a limited number. Administration at Sequoyah made the decision to allow senior students to get first dibs on tickets in the student section. There were 100 season passes for seniors sold through the website “Go Fan.” This pass includes entry to all 5 homes games for $40, which would be the normal price if a student attends all home games. The remainder of the tickets were then sold to juniors, sophomores and freshmen, in that order.  

Despite the smaller capacity in the student section, the students still came out smiling and cheering on their beloved Chiefs. On the visiting side of Skip Pope Stadium, 100 tickets were sold to the opposing teams student section. Although this number may seem small, the Woodstock students were able to attend an away game. All fans on both sides were required to socially distance on spray-painted dots 6 feet away from each other. This distance helped spectators to remain at a safe distance, while still being allowed to congregate in the general area of one another. The Band of Chiefs was located on the hill, a safe distance from players and fans. It is safe to say that despite the COVID-19 restrictions, Sequoyah Football has a passionate community behind their backs.