The Arrow

Filed under Sports

Competition cheer team takes the mat at Creekview

Forming+into+three+lines%2C+the+Chiefs+prepare+to+take+the+floor.+Sequoyah+was+one+of+three+schools+that+represented+Sequoyah%27s+6A+region+at+the+competition.++
Forming into three lines, the Chiefs prepare to take the floor. Sequoyah was one of three schools that represented Sequoyah's 6A region at the competition.

On October 14, the Sequoyah Competition Cheer Team competed in their third competition of the year, the annual Creekview Classic. With sixteen other varsity teams ranging from 2A to 7A, the chiefs took the floor thirteenth amongst the varsity squads.

The varsity girls were led by captains, junior Kylie Gibbs and senior Abby Magnum. Although three girls were unable to perform, the rest of the girls took the floor to perform their routine. The routine they performed was trademarked by their many stunts and unique tumbling. Flyers senior Grace Milton, freshman Whitney Policky, and Aislynn Kelly were held high in a variance of stunts, including their biggest stunt, the elite stunt. Sophomore Annelyssa Destin headlined the tumbling.

Although they did not place due to mistakes in their stunts, the girls feel that they are moving forward.

“We are definitely improving,” freshman Bailey Moore said.

With only 3 more competitions left, they hope to continue to grow and place in one of them.

“If we could just always focus on the small techniques and get more help for those things from the coaches, we could accomplish so much,” Moore said.

Prior to the varsity teams, the junior and junior varsity competed as well. Although Sequoyah has no JV team, the Junior Chiefs placed third for middle school girls. A big-little sister program has been established for the junior girls and varsity girls. Both squads gathered, although their starting times were four hours apart, to support each other.

Future and current chiefs both cheer for a fun-filled, competitive competition cheer season.