The Arrow

• Oct 11, 8:47 amPhoto of the week theme for 10/24: Black and White

Filed under NEWS

Sequoyah sends record number of students to All-State band

Narizabel Cardozo, Brittanit Gerkin, David Haugen, Lizzie Williams, and Jace Rettig are Sequoyah’s representatives for All-State band and orchestra. The band and orchestra starts practicing on March 1st.

This year our school is sending five students to the All-State band and orchestra, which is the most from any school in the county and the school has ever sent off.

Students who are chosen for All-State have put in a lot of work to reach All-State so seeing their work payoff is big for them.

“I honestly feel very proud because I never taken a lesson so it’s basically self-practice and I’ve been working my butt off for this. I just feel amazing and great,” said tenor saxophone player Narizabel Cardozo

Many students were surprised that they were chosen, as there are so many people that audition and a lot less people that make it.

“[I] did not expect it. [I am] very excited though,” said clarinet player David Haugen.

The students who made it were very excited about their accomplishment.

“I think it’s a really big accomplishment and a lot of hard work goes into it. I’m really excited to be able to go and it’s a great experience,” said sophomore, clarinet player Brittani Gerkin.

Some of the students the made All-State this year have auditioned several times before but have not made it, so making it now is very exciting for them.

“I feel pretty good. I have tried for a couple years and it’s taken a lot of work to finally make it,” said oboe player Jace Rettig.

There are other students who have have come close to being an official All-State member but are excited about actually making it.

“I’m so proud because I was an alternate last year and I actually made the real orchestra this year,” said double bass player Lizzie Williams.

David, Brittani, Jace, Narizabel, and Lizzie will all join the band and orchestra starting on March 1st.