The Arrow

Filed under NEWS

Teddy Campbell wins first place in the regional science and engineering fair

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Teddy Campbell stands with his Advanced Placement (AP) chemistry teacher at the Northwest Georgia Regional Science and Engineering Fair. Campbell won first place at this event and will be attending the state fair in March.

On Jan. 27, senior Teddy Campbell won first place Northwest Georgia Regional Science and Engineering Fair. For winning this competition Campbell received a spot in the Georgia State Science and Engineering Fair as well as a $50 gift card.

Campbell came up with his topic by doing research. He wanted to make a product that benefited everybody.

“My project was the derivation of ethyl alcohol from shredded paper,” Campbell said.

Ethanol is currently added to gasoline at up to 85% concentration, so Campbell found a way to create ethanol out of something that is usually recycled, paper. This helps creates more of the product for a cheaper cost.

Campbell believes his board presentation gave him the upper hand in the competition. He views his project as not elaborate but sound which allowed him to prepare for it and know all his information through and through.

“It was cut to the chase, concise, and it made sense,” Campbell said. “It was not overly dramatic.”

Campbell believes he has a good chance at winning the state competition coming up in March this year. Campbell is continuing his research to higher his chances at winning state.